Old Welbexian Association

Welbeck: A History

Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (DSFC) began as Welbeck College, Worksop in September 1953, where a relatively small number of boys were prepared for A levels in technical subjects for two years, to then go straight on to the initial Army officer training programme at Sandhurst Academy. As the numbers grew, Worksop was no longer appropriate and so in September 2005 a new site was built near Loughborough to house the much larger number of boys and girls preparing to become technical officers in the Army, RAF, RN and DESG.

The Welbeck Archive project will contain historical sections mostly from the Early Years; a Student Archive tracing the military careers of all students attending the College since 1953 to the present day; and Articles, which will be added as and when they are passed on to the Archivist.

Our History

The Early Years

Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (DSFC) began as Welbeck College, Worksop in September 1953, where a relatively small number of boys were prepared for A levels in technical subjects for two years, to then go straight on to the initial Army officer training programme at Sandhurst Academy. As the numbers grew, Worksop was no longer appropriate and so in September 2005 a new site was built near Loughborough to house the much larger number of boys and girls preparing to become technical officers in the Army, RAF, RN and DESG.

The Welbeck Archive project will contain historical sections mostly from the Early Years; a Student Archive tracing the military careers of all students attending the College since 1953 to the present day; and Articles, which will be added as and when they are passed on to the Archivist.

Initial Papers

Before the College even opened in 1953 here are some documents regarding the opening of a Pre-Sandhurst Army 6th form College, plus the contents of the complete work.
The Early Years - Part 1

Part 1

This section describes the setting up of the College, and the initial explorations by the 1Entry students.
Part 2

Part 2

This describes the Masters, Staff, buildings, sports available, societies established and initial soldiering.
Part 3

Part 3

This section deals with the next few years, including Speech Days, Royal visits, introduction of the Welbeck magazines, the start of the ‘Registers, the ‘Intake Scrapbook’ system, right up to the major changes starting 40 years on.
Part 4

Part 4

The final part contains a tribute to the first Headmaster David Rickards, obituaries, the formation of the OWA, 1E at RMAS, and the successes of both the College as a whole, and of individual 1E students.

Help - Viewing Online

A short introduction by Jim Dennis as to how to view the 5 sections of his ‘Early Years’ work tabbed alongside.

Our History

The Early Years

Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (DSFC) began as Welbeck College, Worksop in September 1953, where a relatively small number of boys were prepared for A levels in technical subjects for two years, to then go straight on to the initial Army officer training programme at Sandhurst Academy. As the numbers grew, Worksop was no longer appropriate and so in September 2005 a new site was built near Loughborough to house the much larger number of boys and girls preparing to become technical officers in the Army, RAF, RN and DESG.

The Welbeck Archive project will contain historical sections mostly from the Early Years; a Student Archive tracing the military careers of all students attending the College since 1953 to the present day; and Articles, which will be added as and when they are passed on to the Archivist.

Initial Papers

Before the College even opened in 1953 here are some documents regarding the opening of a Pre-Sandhurst Army 6th form College, plus the contents of the complete work.
The Early Years - Part 1

Part 1

This section describes the setting up of the College, and the initial explorations by the 1Entry students.
Part 2

Part 2

This describes the Masters, Staff, buildings, sports available, societies established and initial soldiering.
Part 3

Part 3

This section deals with the next few years, including Speech Days, Royal visits, introduction of the Welbeck magazines, the start of the ‘Registers, the ‘Intake Scrapbook’ system, right up to the major changes starting 40 years on.
Part 4

Part 4

The final part contains a tribute to the first Headmaster David Rickards, obituaries, the formation of the OWA, 1E at RMAS, and the successes of both the College as a whole, and of individual 1E students.

Help - Viewing Online

A short introduction by Jim Dennis as to how to view the 5 sections of his ‘Early Years’ work tabbed alongside.

The Early Years

Annexes

A: The First Entry

Detail, photographs and early history of 1E, who arrived in September 1953

B: The Portlanders

The owners of the Welbeck Estate were the Dukes of Portland, this section shows the family trees, some very old photographs of Welbeck Abbey, and some articles about the underground tunnels.

C: London Illustrated News

Complete article, including sketches, published when the College was formed.

D: The Headmaster's minutes

The minutes of the ten meetings held over ten days setting out the rules for running the College.

E: Royal Visits - The Queen

1968 – Queen Elizabeth visits the College, met by the Duke and Duchess of Portland, and escorted around the College by head boy Andrew Gibson and Headmaster David Rickards.

F: Royal Visits - Duke of Edinburgh

Our patron, Prince Philip’s first visit to the college was for Speech Day in June 1956.

G: The Science Block

Named after the first Headmaster, the David Rickard’s building was opened in 1970.

H: The Original Staff

This section contains a collection of photographs and articles on the very small academic staff of September 1953.

K: Welbeck North

This is a souvenir edition of the ‘The Army College North – a resettlement College’ , showing how the Army continued to use Welbeck post World War 2, and prior to the College opening in 1953.

The early Years

Annexes

A: The First Entry

Detail, photographs and early history of 1E, who arrived in September 1953

B: The Portlanders

The owners of the Welbeck Estate were the Dukes of Portland, this section shows the family trees, some very old photographs of Welbeck Abbey, and some articles about the underground tunnels.

C: London Illustrated News

Complete article, including sketches, published when the College was formed.

D: The Headmaster's minutes

The minutes of the ten meetings held over ten days setting out the rules for running the College.

E: Royal Visits - The Queen

1968 – Queen Elizabeth visits the College, met by the Duke and Duchess of Portland, and escorted around the College by head boy Andrew Gibson and Headmaster David Rickards.

F: Royal Visits - Duke of Edinburgh

Our patron, Prince Philip’s first visit to the college was for Speech Day in June 1956.

G: The Science Block

Named after the first Headmaster, the David Rickard’s building was opened in 1970.

H: The Original Staff

This section contains a collection of photographs and articles on the very small academic staff of September 1953.

K: Welbeck North

This is a souvenir edition of the ‘The Army College North – a resettlement College’ , showing how the Army continued to use Welbeck post World War 2, and prior to the College opening in 1953.